Monday, March 07, 2005

Wild Oats and Fig Leaves

Today my voice sounds funky. I think it is due to a combination of a cold, a touch of hayfever, and the next paragraph.

I worked harder at playing last weekend than I usually do. Much harder. Nothing particularly shameful, except how little sleep I got, but nonetheless I don't feel like going into details. Mostly I was just out too late too much. But now and then I need to test myself to see if I am still young. I am here to say that I passed the test with flying colors. If you really must know more, you can email me and I will consider divulging. But surely you have better things to do, no?

Sunday I was invited to a golf driving range in the afternoon. The price was, I believe, about $15 for use of one tee platform, and then 12 cents per ball. Is it just me, or is that a bit spendy? Anyway, it was good fun. By the end of over two hours I had clearly improved, but that is really not saying much at all. I love golf, actually, but I have never been in Japan. I am hoping to remedy that soon. Perhaps I will go to a course in Taiwan at the end of this month.

Taiwan, right. I am hoping to spend an April Fool's vacation there, if all goes according to plan (and it sometimes actually does). Good friends from nine months of teaching, good food (including the absolute best BBQ chicken I have ever had anywhere in my entire life), cheap bowling (free shoe rental (not that they have my size) and about 75 cents a game), golf(?), DVDs (even the non-pirated ones), and a chance to brush up on my Chinese. Beyond that, KTV (karaoke), MTV (rooms where you watch movies with friends, open 24 hours; I once found an American $100 bill in one of these!), probably more good food and a lot of time spent riding around in warmer weather on motorcycles. These are a few of my favorite things. I'll try to take some pictures or something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must know! I wondered why you weren't blogging; do I really have to email you to get a response or dose this count?

Hack said...

I don't reckon I will ever blog much on weekends, as there are usually better things to do. Even if said activities turn out to be nothing more than blog fodder, that too is important. One might say that I am always in the process of blogging, just not always posting.

Thank you again for your loyal readership and contributions. If only certain other would-be bald comrades of yore showed as much enthusiasm.... Perhaps they have been insufficiently informed?