Sunday, March 13, 2005

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

Last night I saw two businessmen in their 60's outside an amusement center playing a taiko (drums) video game. I took their picture 3 or 4 times when there were gaps in foot traffic long enough to allow a clear shot. Unfortunately, however, I was never able to get a photo that was not blurry. I just bought this cell phone because it has a built-in TV and it was only $70. But I may have to look into replacing it with one that has a better camera and an MP3 player. It is good to be alive in the 21st century.

I am eating a chocolate gorilla that I received from my friend, the dog lady, for Valentine's Day. So it is true they eat primates in Asia. Tasty, too. But also a bittersweet reminder that I have obligations to fulfill. Tomorrow is White Day, and that means I owe a lot of ladies (my students, mostly) chocolate. I think I will make brownies. Yes, I am a happy little homemaker. I will even be barefoot in the kitchen. It is Japanese custom to take your shoes off upon entering, and far be it from me to violate that. Especially when it is in my apartment contract that I will, in fact, leave my footwear at the entrance--even though all the flooring will be replaced when I leave anyway.

And speaking of my apartment and Japanese custom, I just got new neighbors downstairs. They have been there for about two weeks now. The last family only lasted a year. I was a bit sorry to see them go. Their baby cried all the time, which was good because it meant they would need to be more tolerant of the noise I make. And they were. (The only time they ever complained was a picture of diplomacy: I was playing a taiko game myself, alone, in my living room (Nintendo no friendo?), when the phone rang. It was my landlord, who lives next door, saying that the downstairs neighbors had called. They were apparently worried about me because they had heard a noise and they wanted to make sure I was OK! Very smooth. I should have gotten to know them better--they may go far in government. I hope that the drumming and strumming didn't drive them away in the end!) Also, they were always nice when I met them and they gave me some nice towels when they moved in. It is common practice in Japan to introduce yourself and present a gift to the other nearby residents in your building right after you move in. I have done it twice now. I have not received anything, however, from these new occupants. I believe it is a young married couple. Clearly they lack respect for our ways. This is just one of many signs of the decline of Japanese society. Where is this country going!? I want my present! What do I really want? Twenty boxes of chocolates, gift-wrapped. ASAP.

No comments: