Thursday, March 17, 2005

Who dares disturb my slumber?!

The phone rings, waking me from what had been a very lovely, and much needed, nap. The caller ID reads: "Mike," rather than merely the number, so this is someone I apparently know who is calling me. Immediately I am thinking, "Mike... Mike... Mike?" and taking my time to answer the phone as I try to gather my thoughts and wake up. I make no progress, but I don't want to miss the call, so I pick up.

"Hello?"

       "Hello, Tony, this is Mike."

(Internal response: Thanks for the useless information--how about a new hint?) "Yeah, hey, how's it going?"

       "Well, OK, how are you? Listen I am here at the hospital with Jen and I thought now would be a good time for you two to talk. Are you busy right now?"

"Uh...." (I still have no idea to whom I am speaking, nor do I have a clue who Jen is, but I am starting to feel really awkward and guilty for not making any connections.) "No, I'm not busy... I just woke up, so... I am trying to get my head together...."

       "Oh, OK, well, do you want me to call you back later?"

Knowing that I am not likely to remember anything more if I hang up, and also realizing that the "I just woke up" excuse is an asset I won't have next time, I decide to buy a little more time before talking to this 'Jen' person. "Um... well, I don't know. Why are you at the hospital?"

       "Oh, wow, sorry. I've called the wrong Tony."

"Oh man, I was so confused. Wow. Well, good luck at the hospital. Talk to you later. Maybe...."

       "Yeah, right, later."

I still have not figured out who Mike is, but I plan to do some investigating. It is a bad combination to be hyper-social and really bad with names. I have 500 or so of them saved in my phone, and there are plenty which are a mystery to me. Mystery Mike is but one example. Common names, like 'Mike' and 'Tony', to name two, can add more confusion, as happened in this case. I think that if ever have kids I will give them strange names so that they never encounter this problem. Any suggestions?

In any case, it is a relief to know that I don't have anything to do with Jen being in the hospital. What a way to wake up....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony! - Just heard about the earthquake. They're saying there might be a tsunami! Run for the hills!!!

Will said...

I keep wondering, am I supposed to be hearing the title of this post in the voice of the Cave of Wonders from Disney's Aladdin?

Anonymous said...

This deserves its own post, but I'll stick it here anyway. You have got to get some of this . . .


http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4361563.stm

Anonymous said...

Don't worry hack, I don't think you need that gum. Your breasts are just fine the way they are.

I want to know if you have met anyone who has this though:
http://www.v-girl.com/

Hope you are having fun in your travels.