Friday, March 04, 2005

Ashes to Asses

This morning I was attempting to teach one of my favorite adult classes how to give warnings in various situations. For our last practical exercise, I pretended to be inattentively driving a car, so that with each new distraction (tuning the radio, adjusting the seat, putting on make-up, etc.) a student could take a turn and practice saying things like, "Hey, watch out!" or, "Yo! Keep your eyes on the road!" They did a pretty good job. When I came to the youngest in the class (she is around 20), whose English is very good, I dropped an imaginary lit cigarette between my legs and began frantically searching for it. I was of course paying no heed to the task of controlling the invisible car. My student looked at me for a moment and her face changed to a look of relief when she realized what she should say. Acting as concerned as one might be in such a situation, she exclaimed quite convincingly, "Watch out! Your bottom is burning!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

roflSo how long did it take you to recover from your laughing fit?

Sounds like you do a really good job of making your classes interesting.
I can just see you acting those things out.

Anonymous said...

Because I am your friend I give you this . . . enjoy.

http://www.miniclip.com/discgolf.htm

and don't forget - the course record is a 45!

Anonymous said...

That would get you moving

Justine said...

that's hilarious. i love those random bits of humour (on purpose or not) which come about during a day of teaching english. maybe i should press you for eikaiwa ideas - you seem to be quite creative.
thanks for checking out my site. pop by and comment anytime!

Hack said...

To Beepbeep:

Are you referring to what would happen if one were to actually drop a lit cigarette between one's legs while driving? If so, perhaps you speak from experience? Do you have a story you might care to share?

Hack said...

To Gomeiyage:

Is the disc golf game always really slow? Anyway I got bored with it after ten minutes or so, but I did manage to chalk up a 2 on the third hole. I am looking into giving you your own corner just for links, if you want. You have a knack for finding such things. I am too busy flaunting my ignorance through story to do much treasure hunting in cyberspace.