Sunday, February 06, 2005

I can't find 'loogie' in the dictionary. How is it spelled? What is its etymological history?

So last night, wonder of wonders, I was doing a bit of channel surfing. I stumbled upon an old B/W Japanese movie about World War II and Pearl Harbor. Made me wish I could understand more and read faster.... I felt too tired and sick to try to follow it, so I surfed on. Coincidentally my next discovery was an episode of "King of the Hill" where they were visiting Japan. Why? Because Hank Hill's WWII veteran father, Cotton, had been invited to participate in a symbolic ceremony in which old enemies would finally make peace. He went, but all along with the intention of spitting "lung butter" in the face of the emperor. Meanwhile, Hank discovered he had a half-Japanese half-brother. It was amusing, but mostly I was intrigued by the fact that I kept finding Pearl Harbor stuff on TV. It was rather late... perhaps they wanted to get it all broadcast in one swell foop.

I was considering a further discussion on the topic of phlegm, but perhaps that is better saved for another time. Or no time.

Since, however, in only two entries I have already exposed myself as being somewhat juvenile in my humor, I might as well go all out and give the following link:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/groupx/


A CD-R of this group was found by two of my best friends while they were playing frisbee golf. Upon listening to it, they were nothing less than flabbergasted. How could such a thing exist? And without our having known about it? And what "idioth" left it on the ground for us to find? And what good fortune to have found such a treasure! While listening on, and being caught in this powerful swirl of emotions, the two almost simultaneously had a realization: we have to give this to Hack. And, when presented with it, I was in fact nearly beside myself with glee. I confess I am a little embarrassed to admit this. Anyway, click if you dare, but don't blame me if you are offended. You have been warned. OK, maybe not enough. It is childish and vulgar and kind of stupid and maybe racist and definitely chauvinist. But it is unique, creative, and hey, it's catchy. Just don't let it get stuck in your head and start singing it aloud at work. You may get slapped. Or fired. Again, don't blame me. P.S. The views expressed by "Group X" and the material portrayed on the related link in no way reflect the views of this writer. Except that I sometimes like things that are strange simply because they are strange. Is that wrong?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time we listened to that CD... It was a pleasant Saturday afternoon in Nashville, Tennessee and we had just finished a fine game of disc golf. As we were finishing the 18th hole, a shimmer of light caught my eye. I looked down and beheld a burned CD with the inscription: Crazy Stuff. And indeed it was. Back at the townhouse, we immediately put it in the CD player and were mesmorized, especially with the SuperMario song. Who knew that that happenchance would turn into gold. Pure Gold.

Anonymous said...

I too remember that day. We knew immediately to whom this precious jewel must be brought so we placed it carefully into a cd case and bore it back to Michigan where it would safely await the return of Tony the White (well at least relatively to the majority of his neighbors). He came by train, but was delayed of course, and so we waited still longer to fill his ears with the magical cacophony. Then the moment. He came, he listened, he loved. This is our story.