Sunday, February 13, 2005

And the winner is....

Friday was a national holiday, so Thursday night I went into the city for the night. As it seems that most Japanese, for whatever reason, don't view the night before a national holiday as an extra night to play, I was hesitant about going out. But a Peruvian friend seemed to have ideas for things to do. Upon arriving, however, I found that he was taking me along to meet a friend at a club where they were conducting "Salsa Night". Unfortunately this was referring to the dance and not the condiment. I don't have anything against Salsa, per se; it's just that I don't know how to do it and the people who go to such events tend to be rather serious about it. I met one girl there who recently quit her job and at the moment does nothing but eat, sleep, and salsa. Or so she said. Anyway I was less than pleased with my friend because he is aware of my aversion and yet said nothing. On the up side, though, I made friends with one of the bartenders, got free drinks, and now I know where I can go if I ever want a good tattoo.

Friday I slept all day and then met students for a "New Year's Party". Seems a little late for that, I reckon, but it was an excuse to drink really bad "refreshingly bitter" beer and talk about everything and nothing in particular.

Saturday evening I tried a new church then went out to dinner with the other four people who attended the meeting. OK, I am exaggerating. There were nine other people, but five of them were conducting the service. It was nice. One Australian girl was explaining why she can't seem to communicate well with Americans (can't understand that accent, and they are so uptight!). Next I met an American friend and a female pal of his at a British pub. It was during this time that I met perhaps the stupidest person I have yet encountered in all my time living in Asia.

Here's what happened: I went to the bar to order a beer, and for no particular reason thanked the bartender in an Irish brogue. Imagine that. Then I went about my business, returning to our table. Keep in mind, now, that I am 6'0" and weigh in at 240 pounds, and my American friend is 6'3" and 240. (The Japanese girl was 5'4" and about 80 pounds, probably, in case you were wondering.) In spite of our peaceful behavior and prominent stature, a rather wiry British person found his way to our quiet little spot and started leering at us/me. He was standing right over me, with an angry look in his eyes and a pint in his hand. So in order to get whatever awkwardness he had planned over with, I said, "Hello", in the most diplomatic tone I could muster. At this point the person in question proceeded to all but challenge me to a fight, stating, "Tonight I hate anyone who speaks with an Irish accent. Because I hate the Irish. All of 'em. And Israelis too. They blah blah blah blah..." Nothing he said warrants repeating. The fact that he was being so openly and rather loudly racist/placist does. Especially considering the fact that we were in a bar full of people from all over the world. One hopes such a fellow, if his thinking remains unchanged, will not procreate. Eventually my friend and I managed to sort of ignore him until he went away, but not before he called me a "worthless Pole" and "an all right guy." The queerest part about it all is that, though he was talking nonsense and being incredibly offensive and rude, he did not appear to have had that much to drink yet. Glad we didn't stick around to witness his progress (regress) over the course of the evening....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So after checking 1,736 times over the last few days for a new post, it's good to see that one worthy of my dutifulness had finally been posted up. Your loyal reader.

Joshua N. Wiley said...

Tony:

I am glad to see that you are having adventures in East Asia and are doing . . . better! I look foward to following your continuing odyssey in coming month via this blog.

Joshua Wiley

Anonymous said...

Man, if Joshua N. leaves a comment, I must as well: I have to say, Tony, there are people in this world *way* stupider than your crazy Brit. I can tell you stories about how stupid some of my undergraduates are that would make you wet yourself...though perhaps that's not that remarkable. But I digress ;-) Keep up the posting,

Your (other) loyal reader, Kirwin