Thursday, June 02, 2005

You Know Who You Are!

The rivalry continues....

The other night I dreamed that I and a friend were at a used bookstore and we both wanted the same item, of which there was only one. We grasped it at the same time and were soon engaged in an all-out wrestling match. In the end I won, but I think he let me. The funny thing about this dream is that it is not strange. There is one person with whom such an event is conceivable. And though we have never had physical confrontation, I can think of at least three similar incidents. We have something of an ongoing rivalry. But now I live in Japan and he in America, so our opportunities to meet in battle are limited. The dream battle was the most intense yet, but I could not understand why he wanted the item in question. What was it? you ask. A set of flash cards for teaching children English. This is something I could actually use, being a teacher, but he, as far as I can see, has no use for it. Unless there is a new English learner on the way. A bun in the oven?

Or maybe he just likes fighting with me? ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know who I am! I recall many epic battles ranging from ultimate to women to used bookstores in Rochester, MN (i.e. the parable of the workers). I have no use for flash cards to teach children English as of yet, but if they were Ancient Hebrew or Greek cards, I would be more interested. I am glad to still be in your dreams... Sleep well my asian friend... sleep well.

Hack said...

at the risk of sounding like it is 3:15 in the morning and i just got back from a bar... the battles have only made us closer. i am honoured to count you among my close friends, anonymous one. good night.

Anonymous said...

It would be inappropriate not to suggest that the battles between you two have perhaps been fewer due to center of the oreo.

Respectfully,

the white stuff

Hack said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hack said...

perhaps. now if only the pink rabbit would come out of hiding to once again assert that it in fact played an essential role in the formation of the triumvirate. fluff. fluffin.

speaking of special species, where has the car seat cat bat gone to, i wonder?

or for that matter, the never commenting though longed for beaver? not that i consider them to be in the same category by any means. then again....

Anonymous said...

They speak in riddles, they speak in rhymes...do I get a nickname? I admit that I played no role in the formation of the Triumvirate, but anyone that can successfully identify the pink rabbit and the beaver deserves at least a mention, no?

And I second Gomeiyage's assertion that the Burly Alaskan does *not* yet have the Coveted Letters. The sneaky bastard will likely still beat me, but since he doesn't have them yet, there is still hope for me.