Monday, June 27, 2005

The Birds

The garbage truck comes on Monday and Thursday mornings. I like to sleep in on Mondays, so I usually put my garbage out at around 2 in the morning before I go to bed. Last Thursday I received a phone call at 8:30 a.m. from my landlord informing me that some rascally crows had gotten into my garbage. Apparently the sauce I used to marinade the steak I mentioned in an earlier post was of interest to them.

It is a bit embarrassing to see your landlord picking through your garbage with plastic gloves on. Okay, more than a bit. But I had been very careful to cover the trash bags with the net which is intended to prevent scavenging creatures like those bloody crows from having a garbage party. Apparently the scent of my secret sauce was so enticing that the sly black birds went to extra lengths to get to it.

So today, even though it is really my only day to sleep in a little bit during the week, I set my alarm early. Why? So I could take my garbage out just before the truck comes, minimizing and chance of another trash disaster.

Needless to say I am not a fan of our local neighborhood crows' union. Yes, they are smart, they are resourceful, they are tough, and they even know a good sauce when they smell it, but these things only make them more of a nuisance. I wonder what kind of substance I could put in my steak sauce to condition them to stay away? Something that would make them regret ever tasting my trash. After all, if crows are so smart, they must be teachable, right? Like Pavlov's dog....

Ex-Lax? No, that is definitely not a good idea. Sleeping pills? Tums? Hmm...

3 comments:

ldmiller said...

Hey, hey enjoyed the plethora of posts! Just added to mine as well. FYI: my parents will be here from Tues Aug 23 till Sat Aug 27. That last week of August/ first week of September is completely open; hint, hint. We will provide food and shelter as well. JD is thinking about coming out when you are here and I told Billy he must do likewise. Sorry to hear about the trash. I think if it were me, I would still chance it for a morning of sleep. I have a verse for you, Matthew 5:9, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Not sure if you made the peace or kept the peace, but I think both apply to the verse. Ta, Ta

Anonymous said...

I've got to say that when I read the peace post, I was like what the? What happened to the Tony I used to know who would help me set controversy in motion and then stand back and watch the happy, and often surprising, results? What happened to the Tony who used to stalk the halls of DTD? Would that Tony have been so conciliatory? But then I remembered that yearbook where there was a picture of you in the Delt Section with the caption, "Tony Becket, a well-respected campus leader, strums his guitar at IV Chapter Camp" and I realized your new Zen-like peace is perhaps not so new afterall.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and if you actually know the Japanese for "rascally" then I'm going to have to give you mad props.

oh, and keep up the great posting - it's my little treat when I get home from work to find another nugget - it reminds me of the early days of this blog