Wednesday, April 20, 2005

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

This morning, after a total of over two and a half years in Japan, I finally took the written part of my driving test for the first time. I think due to the fact that I already have an American license, I only had to answer ten true or false questions. I got 8 out of 10 correct, as I couldn't quite understand the English of two of the questions, or the corresponding sections in the driver's manual. But then, come to think of it, I felt the same way when I took the test in the U.S.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you then immediately left the testing center, proceeded to the ferry terminal, got on the next boat to Oita, got a taxi to the school, and claimed your scooter, which you are now driving back to Ashiya. I will take silence as an affirmation of this.

Hack said...

Actually I somehow managed to find someone willing to buy that long-neglected scooter years ago. Did you know that I have one here, too, and that I have never ridden it, either? That should all change soon. Also I have been looking into the possibility of buying a car. Definitely a luxury item here, as opposed to everywhere I ever lived in the U.S. where it was a necessity.

ldmiller said...

I keep forgeting my username and password. Took a whil to figure it out. All that effort to tell you that riding your scooter should be safer than riding the express trains. Then again...
I need to add you to my daily internet routine so that I am more faithful to your site. Foxnews, Drudge, ESPN and then Hack. That should do the trick.

Hack said...

Yeah, that train accident happened in my neighborhood, about 5 miles from my house. I sometimes take that train. Glad I wasn't on it this morning. So sad. I am still trying to process it. Hard to feel right about going on with life as usual when I know there are so many people with all of that pain.