Monday, April 11, 2005

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

With the warming weather, I have finally resumed a jogging regimen after an embarrassingly long hiatus. The first day I ran along the seaside and watched cherry blossoms gently falling as the sun was setting in the background. I kept thinking to myself, "Self, look what you've been missing!" Today as I ran by the water there were so many fish jumping that I was tempted to stop and watch them. Instead, though, I just ran without watching where I was going. I guess you could say I was being a rubbernecker. Anyway, spring has sprung and I am trying to take advantage of it. Hopefully hayfever and medicine that makes me sleep won't hamper my efforts.

In other news, the softball "season" resumed yesterday. Our team lost 13-8, I think. My streak of games with at least one home run came to a halt and I committed, mm, about 73 errors in the field. Glad I am on a team where no one practices and losing is not a big deal. In fact yesterday we may not have been able to continue in the tournament even if we had won. I blame my sub-par performance on the very long line at the restroom, due to which I had to wait not only most of the game, but another 15 minutes in the queue to find relief. I didn't check but it looked as if someone had given up on the line and gone straight to the sink. I kept trying to imagine how one would perform such a feat, but never seriously considered an attempt myself. The wait was literally painful, as I stood with my legs meaningfully crossed and struggled to think of anything but that about which I could not help but think. The long anticipated payoff, though, was nothing short of blissful as a result. I was actually dizzy afterward.

Why am I telling you this?

7 comments:

Hack said...

No time to be clever. Any suggestions for a title to this post? Winner to be chosen when I get around to it, probably this week. Prize: TBA.

erl said...

ahh warm weather and running - is there a better combination?

Anonymous said...

what I want to know is what was in the sink? No. 1 I can imagine easily, nay, not imagine, merely recall from my own memory. But No. 2? That's where I too struggle to conjure up the necessary contortion.

Hack said...

No. 2 like the pencil.

The location of the deposit was directly in front of the open entrance to the restroom, an outdoor facility. The long line was due to the fact that an annual "marathon" (I think maybe 20K) was being held and drew hundreds of participants. These and many others would have easily been able to see what was happening, if in fact the act occurred during those busy hours. It appeared to be, er, fresh, and I cannot imagine why one would want to use the sink if the toilets were actually available.

For me the mystery is not a physical one--the height of the sink being easily manageable, but a psychological one. Who would do such a thing when people are all around, in a line right next to you (we are talking inches here) and right outside the doorless doorway passing by on the sidewalk? And of course I also wonder what the reaction was... What would YOU do? What COULD you do? "Hey, stop pooping in the sink, buddy!" ? "Hey wait a minute you can't do that!" ? This person was likely desperate or crazy or both. My reaction would have been a mixture of shock, a touch of fear (crazy and desperate enough to do that might mean crazy and desperate enough to do who knows what), and gratitude for being so fortunate as to have witnessed such a moment. But alas, I was too late.

Hack said...

ERL-

Thanks for stopping by.
Fresh baked cookies (or even Oreos) and an ice-cold glass of milk might be a better combination than warm weather and running. Karaoke and nomihoudai (that means "all you can drink" in Japanese) is a combination that ranks very highly as well. Payday and paid vacation happening simultaneously--also a formidable contender. The list could go on, but in the end it really just depends on what kind of a mood I am in at the moment. So the ultimate combo is perhaps a motivated and focused "mood" and an environment that provides for said mood to be duly acted upon.

Yes I know I am a dork.

Other thoughts about great combos, anyone? Don't say money for nothing and chicks for free.

Anonymous said...

thy do deserve mentioning however
beepbeep

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.