Thursday, May 19, 2005

Batons and Buttons

Last Sunday I met the 2004 baton champion of the world, or so I am told. She herself only told me that she was employed in a baton teaching capacity. Today one of my students, a very nice lady who claims her hobby is sleeping, told me that she recently lost five million dollars on the stock market. Ouch. And tonight I met a professional Japanese tennis player, Tomoko something. A restaurant I often go to happens to have a lot of famous clientele, but I never recognize them when I am there. I don't suppose it would make much of a difference to me anyway.

Last night at karaoke I was making an artistic statement by hanging a number of clothes hangers from the buttons of my shirt and performing an interpretive dance when one of the staff unexpectedly walked in. I wasn't embarrassed but I think I was the only one in the room who felt that way. The waiter (yes they have waiters at karaoke, kinda) was struggling to hold back his laughter (laughing AT me, not with me, certainly) while presenting me with my shiny new member's card. Perhaps the best part about it was that I was drinking nothing but orange juice and coffee the whole time. A true moment of inspiration.

5 comments:

ldmiller said...

Hack, with the karaoke going so well, soon you will be one of the famous people yourself that frequents that restaurant. But why were there hangers hanging from the buttons of your shirt? And how many hangers are we talking about, one for every button? And what song were you singing? THese are questions we need answered!

Hack said...

Very well. 1) There were hangers hanging from my shirt because I put them there. A celebration of role reversal. 2) One for every buttoned button, so five hangers. And though you didn't ask, I will tell you that they were nice plastic ones, black in color. 3) I wasn't singing, I was dancing. Apparently there is a rule that when you go to karaoke with other people you have to let them sing sometimes, too, so I am trying to respect that. It makes it easier when I occupy myself somehow in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the dance of five hangers have it's roots in Middle Eastern culture? I think I read that somewhere.

ldmiller said...

I love the role reversal! Revenge of the hanger!

ldmiller said...

Kim thought it would be a good idea if we put together our own blog to keep in touch with everyone as we leave Hillsdale. So here is our blog: http://mindyourmillers.blogspot.com/

I will be sending a formal e-mail with this website, e-mails, and new phone number, address soon.