Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Cacophonous Bleating: Hack on Hack

Warning: Overly self-analytical psycho-babble may be contained in the following post.

Last week I had a day, actually just an evening, where it was nearly impossible to look at things positively. For a number of hours, no matter what happened, some dark childish monster inside me was spinning negativity into all my thoughts. Ok, that might be a bit passive, like I don't claim responsibility for it myself. But I let the monster out. "I" being, I suppose, the rational being, allowing emotions to have a joyride and ignore all the traffic signals. I have the driver's license, but at some point I let the DCM take the wheel. I just kind of watched.

I never talk on the phone. Well, rarely. But for some reason that night I talked to four different people on the phone. Gradually that helped me get back in the driver's seat. That, a stupid but humorous movie (the first 30 minutes of it, anyway), and a good book. By the time I went to bed I was feeling much better, but not before having a few collisions.

I am relatively certain that I am relatively normal. But I am open to debate. Does anyone else feel like there is a veritable herd of 'animals' inside, various manifestations of emotional energy, all in need of constant management in order to maintain at least a semblance of harmony, of synthesis? And that to keep them all in check perfectly is next to impossible, but at the same time that which you inherently know you should strive for? Is this the meaning of integrity? When the herd is living together in peace, I am my best self. But usually there are at least a few strays, and if I let them wander too long it throws off the balance and the whole group gets restless. Like a shepherd managing the flock that constitutes his very being. "Just being" is not always such an easy proposition.

In any case I am thankful for friends that call me back to myself, though usually unwittingly, and for the small things in life that remind me of the joy of living. This week I have been rediscovering some of these: literature, music, and even tackling a sudoku puzzle now and then have perhaps stimulated parts of my mind that were craving attention. Not that I hadn't been reading, or listening to music or using my mind. Just that I needed to do those things with a different perspective, one of feeding myself with what I need rather than eating whatever I happened to come across in my daily routine. A more intentional approach has reawakened my appetite for life, at least in a sense. I think maybe the isolation I sometimes feel being in Japan with few very good friends nearby has taken a toll on me, dulling my experience of life. It's as if in order to deal with the loneliness I have become comfortably numb. Yes I realize that is a Pink Floyd song and to be honest I have never thought much about it. But I am going to listen to it right now as I walk to the dentist. Sorry for imposing my marching band of introspection on your unprepared ears. Especially since we are still early in rehearsals.

BGM: Radiohead: Kid A

3 comments:

Hack said...

Hey, good to hear from you. Been meaning to send an e-mail but.... Anyway, I realize we all struggle to manage our emotions, but sometimes I feel like I am trying to deal with something more substantial. Not that I have MPD, or schizophrenia, but more like there are lots of different personalities fighting for control of the steering wheel. Like the emotion animals made teams and have more power that way. Then when one team has ceased to be strong enough to do much, they trade players around and make new combinations. Then I have to learn how to manage them all over again. It's like shepherding, Captain Planet, and Fantasy Football (that's American Football) all wrapped into one package.

Actually I think a lot of this is cyclical. About once a year I need to get depressed, then overanalyze, then move on. That's one of my other theories. It's just that this time, for some reason, I wrote about it and sent it whirling into cyberspace for anyone to see. Part of my ever-adapting defense mechanism, perhaps. Anyway, I am tired of talking about myself.

Have you ever read Haruki Murakami? He is weird beyond words and strange beyond surreal but somehow engaging and believeable. Well almost. OK maybe not but I like his stuff a lot. Never read anything quite like it.

And when are you coming for a visit?

Hack said...

Right. Well then be sure to let me know when you know. Or maybe I can help you with the sheep down under some time. I know a little something about sheep. Heh heh.

Anonymous said...

HR, it's both refreshing and disturbing to see (read?) how self-aware you are. Refreshing, because it's nice to see that the herd has become the shepherd again :-) Disturbing, because it just seems so damn similar to some of the conversations that I remember from way back in the day. I suppose that's always the way: the more things change, the more they stay the same? I hate dumb colloquialisms like that... Anyway, in case you need something else to take your mind off the herd, please engage in petitions for peace and clarity for me and my man -- we're seriously contemplating going our separate ways, and no matter how amicable a parting it is, it's gonna be painful. Details in email, if you want.