Friday, September 09, 2005

Fuel for In(s)ane Conversation


Useless Trivia, originally uploaded by Hack Rambler.

This is one of the books I am slowly reading through at the moment. I found it at a Goodwill in Boston. I think it cost 89 cents, minus the student discount. It's written by this pop-culture journalist who decided to read the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica, largely to overcome intellectual atrophy. He talks about how it affects and relates to his life, and picks out interesting nuggets to share. Everything from conjoined twins to Descartes' affinity for cross-eyed women. Pretty good stuff.

I started doing the book of the week atop this blog because, well, I wasn't reading enough. This is my small attempt to give myself some accountability in that area. So if I put a book up there, it means I am actually reading it. I owe it all to Harry Potter. Everytime a new one of those comes out I devour it and realize I do in fact have time for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, speedstick? that is like, so unacceptable. where my old spice??? oh and in other news, ran across Ae Ra looking forlorn on the corner with a dolly cart - apparently she was waiting for someone - I told her that I would give her your blog address and she said, oh yes, tony, he was the one with the cute . . . (here she pointed to her chin) and I, knowing what was called for, blithely supplied "uneven goatee" and subsequently received a smile. hopefully she'll post on here soon.

Hack said...

I believe the word was 'asymmetrical'. Old Spice is on vacation. I have to keep my armpits guessing.

Anonymous said...

I do have to say though, nice job photographing the book cover - it looks professional.

Hack said...

Actually it is a bit crooked. Like my goatee. But this phone does take good pictures. I don't even bother carrying a separate digital camera anymore.